According to AskMen, a man who drives stick (i.e. a manual transmission) usually leaves an excellent impression on a woman — unless of course his shifting skills are so erratic he gives her whiplash.
“Real men understand that cars need three pedals, otherwise the vehicle is nothing more than a fancy golf cart,” asserts AskMen.
More importantly, the publication cites “10 Reasons Real Men Drive Stick.”
We’ll count them down for you:
10. A manual transmission makes you appear in total control.
9. You can throw out automotive jargon and not sound like a tool.
8. It is impossible to spell “Manual” without “Man.”
7. Driving stick reveals that you can do more than one thing at a time.
6. You can corner like you’re on rails (automatic transmissions tend to cause a car to drift and wiggle around corners).
5. Fancy tricks are possible with a manual transmission. For example, you can do the “heel-toe maneuver,” a common trick in motor racing that allows you to downshift, rev-match, and brake at the same time. Once again, you’ll reveal you are in ultimate control.
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick. More money left over to spoil your woman!
3. You won’t look like a chump when masterfully driving your manual transmission.
2. Manual transmissions help you get off the line faster.
1. Women love when a man is good with his hands!
Convinced you need to make a switch to a stick shift?
You may want to consider Popular Mechanic’s “10 Best Cars that Offer a Manual Transmission.”