Note: If you happen to be viewing these Never Before Seen Vintage Photos from a mobile phone, please scroll down to view image captions.
The folks over at National Geographic have always been able to captivate us with their photography.
Last year, the company honored their official 125th anniversary by creating a blog on Tumblr called Found. It consists of a collection of curated images from thousands of vintage photos that have been tucked away from the public eye for years.
Many of them are so breathtaking that you may be left mesmerized by the “cultures and moments from our past.”
In just under 10 minutes, we were able to scour this online resource to find some amazing photographs. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Never Before Seen Vintage Photo Captions
- Loggers and the giant Mark Twain redwood cut down in California, 1892.
- Modestly attired Japanese women wade into water to bathe, October 1928.
- Siberian tiger cub hanging out in a child’s play pen.
- South Africans relax on a sunny, cabana-lined beach in Cape Town, South Africa, August 1953.
- Three shafts of sunlight illuminate the basilica and its mosaic floor in the Vatican, December 1971.
- Vendors and pedestrians along a steep staircase in Hong Kong, November 1934.
- Welts, scars of beauty, pattern the entire back of a Nuba woman in Sudan, 1966.
- A balloon vendor runs across a road with a trailing mass of balloons in Buenos Aires, November 1921.
- A boy between two mounted lobsters caught off the New Jersey coast, February 1915.
- A hippopotamus and his mate line up at tank’s edge at feeding time, March 1957.
- A kitten aboard a floating Victoria water lily pad in the Philippines, 1935
- A raft rests peacefully on Switzerland’s Lake Thun, September 1985.
- A wave of rock shaped by wind and rain towers above a plain in Western Australia, September 1963.
- Aerial view of Balandra Beach in Baja California, Mexico, October 1972.
- An informal group portrait of Amish children in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1937
- Children circle around an ultraviolet lamp to get a dose of vitamin D in Murmansk, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, August 1977.
- Cranes lift the face of a statue from the Abu Simbel Temples in Egypt, May 1966.
- Fishermen load their catch of sardines into crates on the Adriatic Sea, May 1970.
- Four-foot long cod are slung across the backs of cod fishermen, February 1915.
- Giant dunes sculpted by the wind present a challenge for day hikers in Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado, May 1958.
- Girls eat large swirls of cotton candy in Copenhagen, Denmark, January 1963.
- Gulls take food from travelers on a passenger boat off the Channel Islands, Great Britain, May 1971.
- Locals enjoy the view of the Surrey Hills in England, 1928.
- Astronaut Neil Armstrong floats in his space suit in a pool of water in 1967.
- Alexander Graham Bell and Mabel kissing within a tetrahedral kite, October 1903.