We may be right in the depth of winter, but the season will be gone before you know it. And while we’re waiting for our return to the beach and longing for our flowy dresses, we also know that the chance to put on our cute scarves and play around in the snow and on the slopes is quickly passing by.
So before you bid your favorite coat adieu, make sure you get the most use out of it that you can, in the most fun way that you can. With that, we suggest a visit to the Swiss Alps.
We got wind of a slew of unusual and unique events taking place in St. Moritz, Switzerland over the course of the next month. They’ve got everything from Art on Ice, a charity event held atop a frozen lake at night that features celebrated figure skaters and musicians, to the 20th St. Moritz Gourmet Festival, a week-long culinary event with world-renowned, Michelin-starred chefs. Of course there are also a wide variety of snow sports for both participation and spectatorship.
In the middle of all this activity and at the heart of the village, is the 115-year-old Badrutt’s Palace Hotel, which treats its guest to a luxury experience and special treatment for many of these events.
An exciting feature this year is the Badrutt-sponsored new concert series for 2013 highlighted by R&B legend Percy Sledge, known for chart-toppers such like “When a Man Loves a Woman,” and “Warm and Tender Love.” The hotel halls are sure to be filled with a soulful, intimate, and memorable performance.
Other preferential treatments guests of the hotel will receive are front-row seats to on-ice events such as the legendary Cresta Run, White Turf and the Gourmet Festival.
Check out the official date and event summaries for a few of the happenings below.
- 20th St Moritz Gourmet Festival (Jan 28 – Feb 1) Michelin-starred chefs descend on St Moritz for a week of culinary events. One of the featured guest chefs, Massimo Bottura whose Osteria Francescana is ranked No. 4 among the World’s Best Restaurants, delivers heaven on a plate at Badrutt’s Le Restaurant.
- White Turf Weekend (Feb 3) White Turf, a unique, top-class event with exciting horse-racing, gourmet catering, lively music and inspiring art exhibitions, take place on the frozen lake among the stunningly beautiful, snow-capped mountains of St Moritz. Guests of Badrutt’s Palace view the competition from the hospitality tent set up right on the lake in the winter sunshine.
- 26th Cricket on Ice (Feb 14-16) St Moritz is famous for its ski slopes, but for sheer quirkiness few sporting occasions can beat the cricket festival on the frozen lake.
- 7th Art on Ice St Moritz (Feb 15) Taking place at night on the frozen lake, a charity event and showcase for celebrated figure skaters, singers and musicians.
- Cresta Run (Feb 16) A three quarters of a mile long ice run, that winds its way from above the ‘Leaning Tower’ in St Moritz down a steep gully through ten testing corners, past the tiny hamlet of Cresta, to the village of Celerina. The total drop is 514 ft and riders have gone up to speeds of 53 mph. Out-of-control riders often fly off at Shuttlecock, the runs most famous corner, and automatically become members of the Shuttlecock Club, and are entitled to wear a Shuttlecock tie.
- Percy Sledge (Feb 17) The soul legend performs in the intimacy of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel as part of a new concert series.
To learn more about Badrutt’s Palace Hotel, including year round activities and other offerings, click here.
Images credit: Bardutt’s Palace Hotel & St. Moritz Cricket Club