Vegans, veggies, meaties, and beyond — airports are making adjustments to fulfill all your dietary needs. According to a recent study on 18 of the country’s busiest airports, conducted by the nonprofit Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, more than three quarters of the restaurants in major U.S. airports offer at least one low-fat, high-fiber, cholesterol-free, or vegetarian option today. In 2001, that number was just 57 percent.
So, the next time you’re headed out of town, for work or for fun, the good news is you can find the food you want right there at the airport.
Here’s a list of the top five healthiest airports in the United States — and the cities may surprise you. To see more click here.
1. Newark Liberty International Airport: This is the US’s No. 1 best airport according to The Star-Ledger — with 92 percent of its 61 eateries offering a healthy option.
2. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport: ranked second with 91 percent of the airport’s eateries offering a healthy option.
3. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport: dropped from first place to third this year, with 90 percent of the airport’s eateries offering a healthy option.
4. Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport: ranked fourth, with 87 percent of the airport’s eateries offering a healthy option, including vegan pizza and vegetarian tacos.
5. Chicago O’Hare International Airport: gained 13 points from last year’s ranking to tie for fifth, with 84 percent of the airport’s eateries offering a healthy option.
5. (tie) Miami International Airport: tied for fifth, with 84 percent of the airport’s eateries offering a healthy option, including a number of bean-based soups at La Carreta Restaurant.