According to the New Jersey Star-Ledger, 32-year-old Maria Fernandes was found lifeless inside her vehicle parked in a store parking lot. She was working four part-time jobs just to get by and had stopped to take a little nap before her next shift began.
Sadly, police say Fernandes, who worked at two Dunkin Donut locations, fell asleep with her car running to keep cool and died after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from a spilled gas can in the rear of her SUV.
“This sounds like someone who tried desperately to work and make ends meet, and met with a tragic accident,” police Lt. Daniel Saulnier told the Star-Ledger.
She kept a gas can with her because she was constantly commuting back-and-forth between jobs and often ran out of fuel on the road.
The woman’s body was discovered eight hours after she succumbed to the fumes by workers at the convenience store where she had parked.
This is such an awful end to a stressful life of trying to make ends meet.