If you’re like the rest of us, you probably had no idea that a holiday like National Tequila Day even existed.
In fact, it doesn’t necessarily matter what day of the year it is, there is probably some random holiday being celebrated.
But get ready to raise your glass! Touted as North America’s “oldest distilled spirit,” tequila is produced from the Blue Agave plant, a relative of the lily family.
Sure, Cosmos and Martinis may come and go, but tequila is forever. Last year alone, more than 40 new tequilas were introduced to the market, and in the last 10 years, Tequila volume has grown by 72 percent.
In honor of National Tequila Day, restaurants, pubs and bars around the country will be offering a wide variety of tequila tastings, drink specials and celebrations! Plus, mid-July is probably the best time of year to drink tequila.
If you’re up for it, you can invite people over and have your own margarita party or indulge in a tequila blind taste test with your friends. Purchase a few different brands of tequila such as Partida Tequila or Sauza and have your happy guests play a game to decide which is which. Staying true to the theme, chips and salsa would probably make sense, too.
Our favorite pastime on this special holiday? Taking a seat in the summer sun and slowly sipping on some chilled tequila.
How will you honor your tequila this holiday?
In celebration of National Tequila Day, we would like to share a few specialty margarita recipes with you. Cheers!
And as always, please drink responsibly.
Sauza® Mexican Madras:
- 3 parts Sauza® Wild Berry Sparkling Margarita
- 2 parts Orange Juice
- 3 parts Cranberry Juice
- Lime Wheel
- Build over ice in a Collins glass
- Garnish with a lime wheel on the rim
Sauza® Watermelon Margarita:
- 4 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
- 2 parts JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
- 3 cups Watermelon, chilled, seeded and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup Ice
- Freeze cubed watermelon in a plastic bag for a minimum of 2 hours
- Add all ingredients to a blender
- Puree until smooth
- Serve in glasses rimmed with salt
- Garnish with a lime or watermelon wedge
Partida® The Honey Sour:
- 2 oz Partida Reposado
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Honey Syrup (equal parts honey with water)
- Egg White
- Shake all ingredients with ice
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with zest of an orange peel – discard when used
- 2 oz Partida Blanco
- 1 oz agave nectar
- 1 oz water
- 1 oz fresh squeezed lime
- Shake all ingredients over ice and voila!