E-Cigarette Explodes, Putting Smoker in the Hospital with Leg Wounds

A smoker nearly had his leg torn off after his electronic cigarette exploded in his home.

David Aspinall, 48, was left in the hospital after his e-cigarette overheated and blew up, littering his limbs with tiny metal pieces causing wounds not unlike those caused by bullets. The explosion also set fire to his apartment in Wigan, England.

Moments before the incident, Aspinall said he felt the e-cigarette overheat and burn up in his hand before dropping it to the ground.

Aspinall, an ex-decorator, staggered to a neighbor’s home to ask for help after the e-cigarette left his legs thrashed and bloodied. He lost almost a liter of blood and spent nine days in the hospital recovering, the Mirror reports. He will reportedly be undergoing skin grafts for up to three years to repair his legs.

“It could have blown my head off,” he said. “I thought I’d lose a leg. I’m just glad I’m alive.”

According to Aspinall, the shop who sold him the e-cigarette blamed the malfunction on faulty batteries. Whatever the reason, Aspinall has vowed to stop smoking e-cigarettes in favor of regular cigarettes, which he claims are “safer.”

PAY-e-cigarette-he-was-smoking-explosion

Advertisement