Everyone is buzzing about the Forbes magazine list that made its yearly appearance this morning. Unfortunately, it’s the list no actor wants to be on—Most Overpaid.
Actor Eddie Murphy is either fuming or in hiding right now—maybe both. He came in as the number one most overpaid actor, and not for the first time.
Take heart, Eddie. You’re in good company. Some notable actresses like Oscar winners Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon were right behind you.
Forbes calculates their list by seeing if actors made profits on their films. Eddie Murphy’s last three movies returned an average of $2.30 at the box office, the worst of any actor.
Katherine Heigl, formerly of Grey’s Anatomy before becoming a leading lady on the big screen came in second; earning just $3.40 for every dollar she was paid. Reese Witherspoon was right behind her at $3.90, and Sandra Bullock came in at $5. Funnyman Jack Black rounded out the top 5, with $5.20 returned for every dollar spent.
See the full list below:
1. Eddie Murphy – Returns $2.30 for every $1 paid.
2. Katherine Heigl – Returns $3.40 for every $1 paid.
3. Reese Witherspoon – Returns $3.90 for every $1 paid.
4. Sandra Bullock – Returns $5 for every $1 paid.
5. Jack Black – Returns $5.20 for every $1 paid.
6. Nicolas Cage – Returns $6 for every $1 paid
7. Adam Sandler – Returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
8. Denzel Washington – Returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
9. Ben Stiller – Returns $6.50 for every $1 paid.
10. Sarah Jessica Parker – Returns $7 for every $1 paid.
Do you think Forbes got it right, or are you as outraged as these actors are probably feeling? Sound off on our Twitter or Facebook page!