Back in July of 2010, a strange discovery was made at the site of the World Trade Center.
Construction workers were shocked when they found a wooden ship 22 feet below street level. Prior to the September 11 disaster, the area was an underground security and parking complex.
A new report has found that the ship was built in or around 1773 near Philadelphia. It was made of the exact same white oak trees that were used to build various walls of Independence Hall, where the Constitution was signed.
“We could see that at that time in Philadelphia, there were still a lot of old-growth forests, and [they were] being logged for shipbuilding and building Independence Hall,” Dario Martin-Benito of Columbia’s Tree Ring Lab told Live Science. “Philadelphia was one of the most — if not the most —important shipbuilding cities in the U.S. at the time. And they had plenty of wood so it made lots of sense that the wood could come from there.”
Experts believe that the ship was buried in a landfill in the early 1800s.
The following are a few photos of the site, and the above video provides more details: