Glee Star Cory Monteith Autopsy Reveals Heroin and Alcohol Mix

The British Columbia Coroners Service reports that Glee star Cory Monteith died “of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol.” He was 31.

Monteith was found dead Saturday afternoon in a hotel room in Vancouver, British Columbia. When Monteith didn’t check out on time, hotel staff investigated and found that the young actor was already deceased. Details were kept to a minimum, but police confirmed he was alone during the night and ruled out foul play from the beginning. His past struggles with drug addiction are well known, and he had just come out of rehab, leading many to speculate that drugs might be involved. However, the specifics were not confirmed until now.

The investigation into this death by the BC Coroners Service is continuing, but the report states “there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith’s death was anything other than a most-tragic accident. When the investigation is concluded, a Coroners Report will be issued.”

Monteith’s family members were informed of the information before it went public, and they have asked that “the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.” No further details will be released, nor will they be answering other questions surrounding the death, until the full investigation is complete.

Representatives for Lea Michele, Monteith’s co-star and girlfriend, released this statement to People following his death: “We ask that everyone kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time.” There has been no word from Michele following the BC Coroners Service report.

Monteith was scheduled to start shooting the fifth season of Glee in two weeks.

Feature Image: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images