When I want a delicious treat, there is one go-to item that never fails: Cheesecake Factory’s popular Avocado Egg Rolls.
The problem? The nearest location is pretty far from where I live, they’re kind of pricey, and I just feel silly ordering one small item from the sit-down restaurant. So the last time the craving hit, I made them at home using this Cheesecake Factory Avocado Egg Rolls copycat recipe. You can adapt it to your liking. Switch up unhealthy ingredients for low-fat, low-cal versions, or add something that you always thought was lacking in the restaurant version.
Give it a try. Trust me, it tastes so much better when you’ve put the effort in yourself, plus there’s something appealing about whipping up gourmet food at home while slumming around in sweatpants. We have photos of our preparation below the instructions.
What You Need
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & diced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped & lightly drizzled with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onions
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 4 egg roll wraps (can also use won ton wraps)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil for deep-frying
30 mins prep time
1. Combine white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, honey, and tamarind in a microwave safe bowl. Stir together until tamarind is dissolved.
2. Microwave for 1 minute.
3. Using a blender, puree tamarind mixture, cashews, cilantro, garlic, onions, sugar, pepper, and cumin.
4. Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in oil.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
1. In a bowl, mix together avocado, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and salt.
2. Divide filling evenly on the center of each egg roll wrapper.
3. Fold one corner up, 1/4 of the way over the filling.
4. Brush the remaining corners and edges with beaten egg, roll up the left and right side, then roll up and fold top corner over all. Press to seal.
5. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
6. Deep-fry the egg rolls in 375 degree oil for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.
7. Drain on paper towels.
8. Slice egg rolls diagonally in half and serve with the prepared dipping sauce.
For a low-fat version, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven.
More Great Recipes