Mother Ends Up in Wheelchair for Life After Using Best Friend’s Makeup Brush

If you’ve ever wondered how bad it is to share your makeup with someone (yes, even your best friend), this young mother will give you the rundown.

Her story is the only reason you’ll ever need to turn down anyone who asks you to share your beauty stash with them.

Jo Gilchrist, a 27-year-old mom from Australia, will be forever wheelchair bound after catching a life-threatening staph infection from using her best friend’s makeup brush to hide a pimple on her face.

The incident occurred on Valentine’s Day, and the infection immediately entered her body and started attacking her spine. Since that fateful day, she has been in Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital, where doctors are still attempting to figure out how to remove the bacteria from her body.

jo gilchrist wheelchair son

“It started as a little ache in my back and I thought it was my bad posture, but it kept getting worse and worse,” she told Daily Mail Australia. “I honestly thought I was going to die.”

At first, when she began losing feeling in her legs, doctors couldn’t make sense of what was happening.

“They said (the numbness) would go all the way up my arms and into my chest and when that happened I’d have to be put in an induced coma and learn to breathe again,” she explained.

The staph infection is so severe that she will never be able to walk again–forever confined to a wheelchair while raising her two-year-old son, Tommy.

Staph infections can easily be transferred from person to person via skin-to-skin contact or from contaminated objects. Usually, this happens when infected people share personal items such as towels, bedding or clothes.

Advertisement