If you’re thinking about going to college, we advise you to look at the following lists as part of your decision process.
The Center for College Affordability and Productivity put together a list of schools with the worst and best rated professors on RateMyProfessors.com, a site where college students review and comment on their instructors’ abilities and teaching skills. The site allows students to rate professors on helpfulness, clarity, and easiness and determines an overall quality score.
Some of the best rated professors hailed from liberal arts colleges while many of the worst rated instructors are from schools that specialize in science, technology and engineering — subjects that are usually academically challenging for students. As Lynn O’Shaughnessy from CBS Money Watch points out, students could give professors in these fields low scores on the easiness category, but these assessments are not used in a professor’s overall quality score.”
One possible reason liberal arts colleges fared so well on the list is that these types of institutions offer smaller classes, closer relationships with professors and place a higher priority on undergraduate education, versus research-centered schools where professors focus on their own work, according to O’Shaughnessy.
Check out the top 10 schools in both categories.
Universities with the Best Professors
1. Oklahoma Wesleyan University
2. North Greenville University (S.C.)
3. U.S. Military Academy (N.Y.)
4. Carleton College (Minn.)
5. Northwestern College (Iowa)
6. U.S. Air Force Academy (Colo.)
7. Wellesley College (Mass.)
8. Master’s College and Seminary (Calif.)
9. Bryn Mawr College (Pa.)
10. Whitman College (Wash.)
Universities with the Worst Professors
1. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (NY)
2. Michigan Technological University
3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy (CT)
4. Milwaukee School of Engineering
5. New Jersey Institute of Technology
6. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)
7. Widener University (PA)
8. St. Cloud University (MN)
9. Bentley University (MA)
10. Indiana State University