It was a normal routine grooming for Colby, a two-year-old Golden Retriever as he was dropped off at a Petco in Chesterfield , Virginia.
Allison Marks, Colby’s owner started to worry when she didn’t hear from the groomers for several hours. She decided to call them for an update. After being put on hold for 15 minutes, she was told she needed to meet an assistant manager at a local animal hospital.
The groomer who was looking after the Golden Retriever that day, put him in a drying cage after giving him his bath. A drying cage is a kennel surrounded by blow dryers. That groomer than left to go to a graduation party.
When Allison got to the animal hospital, Colby had already passed from heat stroke. Petco released a statement to WTKR saying how they feel about the situation.
“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”
As for the dog’s family, they are devastated. Allison expressed her sorrows to NBC 12. “He is my baby. He was the most important thing. I mean, he was my companion.”
The incident is under investigation by Petco headquarters it is also being looked at by Chesterfield Animal Control.