WARNING: Some of the photos above may be disturbing to some readers, especially when taken with their macabre backstories.
If you think you have the stomach for it, scroll through the photos above. If you’re reading on a mobile device, read below to see the image captions.
1. Lightning Strike – This photo of two brothers smiling was taken seconds before they were struck by lightning at Sequoia National Park, Calif. in 1975.
2. Tyler Hadley – Teenager Tyler Hadley killed his parents to throw a party at his house. This photo was taken during the party, while his parents’ corpses were stowed away in an upstairs bedroom.
3. Bridge Jumper – A photographer accidentally captured someone committing suicide by jumping off a bridge in China.
4. Jonestown Massacre – An overhead shot of the aftermath of the infamous Jonestown massacre.
5. James Bulger – Bulger, the toddler in this security photo, was being led away from his mother by one of two ten-year-olds who abducted and later murdered him.
6. Mystery Party Guest – A group picture from a party of close friends. Not one of the friends recognized the head popping in on the far right of the photo.
7. Omayra Sanchez – 13-year-old Sanchez was killed in the 1985 eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia. This photo shows her with the blood vessels in her eyes ruptured, shortly before being pinned underwater for three days.
8. A Politician’s Assassin – Filipino politician Reynaldo Dagsa taking a photo of his family accidentally captures his assassin on film, moments before he was shot dead.
9. Amityville House – Investigators at the supposedly-haunted Amityville House said the home was empty of children and none of them remember taking this photo. It apparently just showed up in the prints and the child resembles one of those killed there three years earlier.
10. Tara Calico – Tara Calico was abducted and never found. A woman discovered this Polaroid photo resembling Calico in a supermarket parking lot.
11. Omagh Bombing – The red car in this photo was a car bomb that went off moments after this was taken, killing 29 people, including the photographer. The two subjects survived the blast.
12. Regina Kay Walters – This photo shows 14-year-old Regina Kay Walters before being killed by serial killer Robert Ben Rhoades, who toured the country in an 18-wheeler equipped with a torture chamber. He took the photo in an abandoned barn after cutting off her hair and making her wear the black dress and heels seen here.