Raw Cookie Dough Blamed for Devoted Mother’s Agonizing Death

Linda Rivera ate a little bit of prepackaged cookie dough four years ago, which set off the agonizing complications from E. Coli that led to her eventual death in July of 2013. Now her heartbroken son is using his mother’s painful story in a bid to the FDA for stricter regulations for food production, according to ABC news.

You’re not supposed to eat raw cookie dough—everyone has heard the warnings of raw egg leading to salmonella or E. Coli risks. Still, lots of people sneak a nibble before they throw the dough in the oven. After all, cookie dough is a great comfort food during tough emotional times like a bad break-up, stressful times at work or school, even as just a quick snack.

The batch of pre-made Toll House cookie dough that Rivera ate was later recalled, after dozens of E. Coli illness reports were filed with Nestle. Unfortunately for Rivera and her family, the dangerous strain that she contracted lead to kidney failure, brain injury, and septic shock. She also had a significant amount of her large intestines removed. During her battle, she suffered further organ failures and went into a coma for several months.

Her son, Richard Simpson, 22, from Las Vegas, said his mother never fully recovered, as she spent the next three years in and out of the hospital.

“She fought very hard. We knew she didn’t want to give up,” he said during a hearing this week with the FDA.

Rivera and her family brought a claim against Nestle that was settled for an undisclosed amount, according to the family’s representation, Bill Marler.

In a statement, the company said that since Rivera’s illness and passing, Nestle has implemented more rigorous testing and inspections of raw and finished product, and has switched to heat-treated flour.

Advertisement