Medical marijuana has been proven to be a very effective medicine used by patients around the world to treat and alleviate symptoms of a variety of serious conditions in which traditional interventions have failed. Cannabis is often used for treating nausea and vomiting in cancer patients who do not respond to standard treatment.
There are a variety of ways medical marijuana patients can ingest pot. Some smoke it, take it in pill form, or choose to eat it in things such as smoothies, cookies and even ice-cream. While there’s no shortage of manufacturers creating medical marijuana edibles, sometimes the best medicated delights come out of your own kitchen.
Most people think of “stoner food” as fatty, greasy concoctions, but this gelato recipe is not only infused with real coffee beans, in addition to hash or kief, it is decadent.
This Cannabis-Infused Espresso Gelato recipe, from Cheri Sicard is infused with real coffee beans. Sicard, who is a chef, author and cannabis activist, recommends serving this delicious dessert with Cannabis Infused Hot Fudge Dessert Sauce if you desire a stronger dosage.
A recommended dose for the average person is be 20 milligrams; but if you’re a first-time edibles consumer, it’s smart to start out with a low dose and work your way on up. Be sure to wait at least two hours for the THC to work through your digestive system before attempting to eat any more cannabis-infused foods.
Please do keep in mind that we are not advocating breaking the law. Marijuana laws and penalties vary substantially from state to state, and sometimes even by county and city. We strongly advise you read, stay up to date, and follow the cannabis laws in your area.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground espresso roast coffee beans
- 2 grams* kief or finely ground hash**
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Make It
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, cream, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the ground espresso beans. Stir together or low heat until very warm but not boiling. Turn off heat and allow mixture to steep for 15 minutes or more.
- Pour mixture through a medium strainer to remove coffee grounds and return to pan. Stir kief or ground hash into coffee infused mixture over medium-low heat until incorporated and dissolved – do not boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place egg yolks, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt in a small bowl and whisk until egg yolks are thick and pale yellow. Whisking vigorously to prevent the eggs from scrambling, whisk in about 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture. Continue whisking in milk mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time until it is all incorporated.. Return to heat and cook over medium low stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken. Do not boil, mixture should only reach about 185 degrees F (if you have a thermometer, if not heat until very hot). Remove from heat, place in a bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator until very cold, at least 6 hours.
- Stir vanilla extract into chilled mixture and pour into the freezer container of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for making ice cream.
Makes 1 Quart/8 Servings Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
*Be sure to read and understand Calculating Cannabis Doses in Edibles before attempting to cook with marijuana.
**More information about cooking with kief and hash.
You can also find over 120 additional recipes, plus cooking how-to information in Sicard’s book The Cannabis Gourmet Cookbook. Her blog www.CannabisCheri.com features more recipes and cooking with marijuana how to’s along with a weekly cannabis news round up and more! She’s also currently finishing up work on Mary Jane: The Complete Guide to Marijuana For Women, which will be available in 2015 from Seal Press.