Searching for the ultimate holiday scallop recipe? We are dying to try this masterpiece by Executive Chef Larry LaValley of 3800 Ocean at the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa.
16 sea scallops, U-10 size
Salt and pepper
¼ cup clarified butter
2 cups Butternut Squash & Apple Hash (recipe follows)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. shallot, minced
4 cups spinach
½ cup Cider Gastrique (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Spread the scallops out on a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Season with salt and pepper. Warm a large sauté pan with the clarified butter over high heat. When the pan is almost smoking hot, add the scallops to the pan, arranging them so that they do not touch one another nor the sides of the pan. If your pan is not large enough, it is better to repeat the process in batches. Allow the scallops to sear on the first side (do not disturb them) for one to two minutes. Then carefully turn the scallops over. Once the scallops have been turned, transfer the pan to the oven to allow the scallops to finish in the oven. This should take about five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the Butternut Squash & Apple Hash in an oven proof casserole. Reheat in the oven for about five minutes, while the scallops finish cooking.
4. As the scallops finish cooking, remove them from the oven and allow them to rest for a few minutes.
5. Simultaneously, warm the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add minced shallots to the pan until they become translucent. Then add the spinach, and wilt until it softens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Warm Cider Gastrique slightly in a small sauce pot.
7. TO SERVE: spoon a half cup of the Hash into the center of each of four warmed plates. Top with wilted spinach. Arrange four scallops across the spinach and Hash. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons of Gastrique onto and around the scallops. Enjoy!