See What This Python Dangerously Swallowed

Aaron Rouse was trying to feed a rat to his pet python with a pair of tongs when something unimaginable happened.

The python, named Winston, latched onto the metal barbecue utensil with a death grip so strong it was impossible for Aaron to unlatch it. He left the snake in search of a better solution, but got the shock of his life when he came back.

When he returned to the snake he was horrified to see that it had swallowed the tongs.  The only evidence that remained was the python’s oddly-shaped protruding bulges.

Afraid for his beloved snake, Aaron took Winston to a vet. Dr. Funnell, Winston’s vet, told 891 ABC Adelaide that he wasn’t sure what to expect when he opened the box with the snake, but was shocked to see the python swallowed the barbecue utensil.

“You could basically see the shape of the tongs, and there’s a small clip that you slide forward to lock them and you could actually see the outline of that through the snake. You could even see the bumps on the end of the tongs.”

While snakes are normally able to regurgitate things they eat, both Aaron and the doctor didn’t think that Winston would be able to regurgitate the sharp tongs. Dr. Funnell was cautious when it came to deciding what to do, because the jagged and sharp edges of the utensil could harm the snake’s organs.

After weighing all their options, they decided to go with surgery. Dr. Funnell was able to remove the tongs safely from Winston who is now recovering.

Advertisement
Advertisement