Admit it – you’ve called in sick from work at least once when you really weren’t sick one bit – you just wanted to lay in bed all day or go to that daytime concert you found out about last minute. Even the best of us have a day when we just want to play hooky from the office, but of course we can’t tell our employers that. Instead we fake our best sick voice, or come up with some other reason to help get us out of work for the day.
CareerBuilder recently did a survey which showed that 30 percent of workers called in sick during 2012 when they weren’t actually ill. Reasons to forego work ranged from needing the day to make it to an appointment, needing to relax and catch up on sleep, to running important errands. Seems understandable enough.
But then there are those employees who come up with wacky, less than believable, totally strange excuses for missing work. CareerBuilder asked employers to share the most memorable excuses they’ve heard from employees, and they reported the following real-life excuses. Legit or not, they make for a good chuckle.
- Employee’s sobriety tool wouldn’t allow the car to start
- Employee said her dog was having a nervous breakdown
- Employee’s dead grandmother was being exhumed for a police investigation
- Employee’s hair turned orange from coloring her hair at home
- Employee said a bird bit her
- Employee forgot he had been hired for the job
- Employee was upset after watching The Hunger Games
- Employee got sick from reading too much
- Employee was suffering from a broken heart
- Employee’s toe was stuck in a faucet
Now it’s time to fess up. What excuses have you come up with to skip the office for a day? Share below!