Not that we’re surprised, but Korean rapper PSY’s “Gangnam Style” tops YouTube’s freshly released list of the 10 biggest videos of 2012. Along with the list, the website put together a fun video titled “YouTube Rewind Style” – a mash-up of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” and “Gangnam Style” featuring some of YouTube’s biggest stars.
So take a walk down memory lane — or get caught up if you’ve been out of the loop — and check out the mash-up above and 2012’s top 10 videos below, along with YouTube’s description of each.
1) GANGNAM STYLE: PSY was 2012’s Internet breakout star as Gangnam Style approached 1 billion views and became YouTube’s most-watched video of all time in just 6 months.
2) WALK OFF THE EARTH: The biggest cover video of 2012 belonged to Canadian band Walk off the Earth, whose unconventional take on Gotye’s single became an international hit.
3) KONY 2012: For a week in March, the most-shared video in the world was a 30-minute doc from a nonprofit group driving unprecedented discussion and interest.
4) CALL ME MAYBE – GOMEZ, BIEBER, PENA: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and more kicked off the Call Me Maybe lip sync trend that helped make it 2012’s song of the summer.
5) EPIC RAP BATTLES – OBAMA VS ROMNEY: In 2012, ERB’s Season 2 drew over 250 million views and this political battle was one of the many, many videos we watched during the election season.
6) DRAMATIC SURPRISE: TNT’s launch in Belgium was accompanied by this epic stunt, becoming one of the most popular “ads” of the year.
7) WHY YOU ASKING ALL THEM QUESTIONS: Emmanuel Hudson teamed up with Spoken Reasons, producing 2012’s most entertaining commute.
8) LINDSEY STIRLING: Lindsey Stirling’s unexpectedly awesome combination of dubstep and violin helped make her channel a huge hit in 2012.
9) FACEBOOK PARENTING: Early in the year, this extreme look into father-daughter relationships in the age of social media sparked a storm of controversy and discussion.
10) STRATOS HIGHLIGHT: Felix Baumgartner’s jump from space was one of the most viewed live events ever with millions of viewers tuning in or watching these highlights.