Vets Get Kitten Completely Drunk After Hooking Her Up to a Vodka Drip

After a four-month-old kitten was doused with anti-freeze by cold-hearted thugs, vets combated the threatening effects of the poison by turning to a rather unusual solution.

Missey, the stricken cat, was hooked up to a vodka drip after owner Paul Stephenson and his daughter, Sara, rushed the feline to the vet, according to the Mirror.

“When we heard about the treatment I was just shocked. I had no idea you could even give an animal vodka,” said Sara.

However, it turns out there was good reasoning behind using the alcohol.

Andrew Miller, a vet at White Cross, explained “The vodka treatment is quite unusual but is commonly used on animals who have swallowed anti-freeze” adding “anti-freeze is extremely toxic to animal’s kidneys. We specifically use vodka because the ethanol in it neutralizes the substance in the poison.”

He was also quoted saying animals that are fed the vodka through a drip do get quite drunk, which explains Missey’s behavior after she was treated.

She was described as being “blind drunk” by Sarah, who also revealed “She was trying to get up, but toppled over. Her eyes were out of focus and when we took her home in a carry basket, her mouth has pressed up against the wire so it looked as though she had her teeth bared.”

‘’At one point” Sara added, “she was lying down trying to swipe at a pen and she just kept missing it, she was that out of it. It was totally mad.”

Luckily Missey was monitored 24 hours by the staff at the Vets Now facility while she recovered. She is now back home with the Stephensons, who are taking good care of her.

Advertisement