Young Man in Coma After E-Cig Explodes in His Face During a Smoke Break

James Lauria went into a coma after suffering burns to his face, chest, hand and eyes during his usual smoke break while at work. He was left with a hole in the roof of his mouth when the e-cigarette he was smoking blew up, and he suffers from a fractured neck and finger.

The explosion happened with such force that one of his front teeth became lodged in his gums, damaging his lower teeth.

Six weeks after the accident on July 29, he’s still not okay. He’s still receiving treatment at the University of Alabama but still cannot eat, is on a liquid diet and speaks with a lisp.This is how he  explains what happened:

“I’m at work and things quieted down and I stepped away for a second like I always do. Next thing I know, it exploded and I was on my way to a hospital in an ambulance, and that is the last thing I remember. I’m happy to be alive, I know how fortunate I am. I want to warn others.”

The South Walton Fire and Rescue Department are investigating the incident.

So for those of you who thought e-cigs are safer than cigarettes, you may want to reconsider the switch.

Advertisement